Thursday, August 9, 2012

Stevie Gadlabarti Goldsmith

We had a guest speaker come into our lecture in week 2, Stevie Gadlabarti Goldsmith, who spoke to us about the history of the Indigenous people.

A few of the things I found most interesting from his lecture were:

  • There is evidence that Aboriginal Culture has been around for 300,000 years
  • Storytelling is passing on knowledge
  • 'The Black Line'
  • Uncles are 'fathers' and aunts are 'mothers'. (One big family rather than extended)
  • The man on the $50 note was the Aboriginal Leonardi da Vinci.
  • Adelaide is the dreaming place of the red kangaroo (built on)

One of the things that really had me thinking at the end of the lecture was his comment about how we refer to all Indigenous people as 'Aboriginies' and how that's equivalent of saying that everyone in Europe is European rather than German, French, etc. I'd never thought of it like that so I felt rather stupid and rude for having always done that. The only problem is, is that I honestly don't know all the different groups of people in Australia and I believe there are much more than in Europe. So of course I understand that they aren't all one 'nationality' but in a sense it's also much more difficult to decipher where they are from because we haven't been taught their territories or the difference in their culture. I'm not sure whether this is because of the lack of information provided to us or the ignorance of the Australian education system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment